Gordon Mclaughlin - shield

My work progress:


Collage

















3D Object Design


Brief and choices


For my 3D object design class we had been given three different briefs to choose from. The one that stood out to me was to make an object that would fit into the world of Super Mario. I had played this game as a child so I thought that choosing this brief would be the most logical and easiest. From here I made some sketchbook drawings of ideas that I could possibly make. The drawings were vague as I found it hard to think of an original idea that could be made in 3DS Max. I then took inspiration from other items that were already in Mario and decided to give them a twist, this helped me think of items that I could make. I also took inspiration from other games to think of 3D object ideas.


Idea Progress



As I progressed through my work I kept a log of my work through an online blog. This was part of the brief and it helped me keep on track on what I had done and what I still needed to do. After I made my three drawings I chose the one I thought would work best. I decided to go with the Shield drawing.

3D Max work

I had some difficulties working in 3ds max as my object didn’t look the way I wanted it to. To fix this I completely scrapped my design which consisted of a turbo smoothed sphere and went with a new look. I chose to make this new look by using the line tool and making the line in a shape of a medieval shield. I then extruded this line and I was happy with the way it now looked. From this point I added adjustments such as metal plates and textures. I experimented with textures and eventually settled with wood, marble and metal.


Questionnaire

I completed a questionnaire as part of brief three and got very good feedback from three of my classmates. I got told that my work was successful however the size of the final model was too large for Mario to use. I also got told that as nice as it looked, my object didn’t aesthetically fit into the Mario world. In the future I would definitely try to change my object so that it looks like it would suit its surroundings such as the Mario world.


Gordon McLaughlin

Comments

Popular Posts